[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog: 2003-2005

Department Information

Graduate Studies

Graduate Programs (Includes links to programs)
Graduate Policies
Graduate Council


Graduate Programs in Education
Graduate Programs in Educational Media Technology
Master of Arts in Exercise Physiology
Master of Arts in Health Information Management
Master of Arts in Management
Master of Arts in Management (Accounting Track)
Graduate Courses in Music
Master of Arts in Nursing Program
Master of Arts in Occupational Therapy
Master of Arts in Physical Therapy
Graduate Courses in Psychology


Graduate education is assuming an ever more important role in American life. This is reflected clearly at The College of St. Scholastica, where Graduate Studies enrollment increased tenfold between 1986 and 1998. The College offers graduate programs and courses in areas in which it has historically excelled. It makes master's programs accessible by offering courses in the evening, via distance learning, and at various off-site locations throughout the region.

The programs are:

Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction
Master of Education in Educational Media and Technology
Master of Arts in Exercise Physiology
Master of Arts in Health Information Management
Master of Arts in Management
Master of Arts in Nursing
Master of Arts in Occupational Therapy
Master of Arts in Physical Therapy

Graduate courses are also available in Biology, Music, and Psychology.


The College is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools to offer the Master of Arts and Master of Education degrees. In addition, the Master of Arts in Nursing Program is fully accredited by the National League for Nursing and the Master of Arts in Physical Therapy Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education of the American Physical Therapy Association. The Educational Media and Technology degree fulfills the Minnesota State Board of Teaching media generalist licensure requirements. The Occupational Therapy Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education of the American Occupational Therapy Association.

Class Times

To meet the needs of working adults, most classes in Management and Nursing are scheduled during the late afternoons or evenings and occasionally on Saturdays. Summer courses and special seminars, particularly for Education, Health Information Management, and Management may follow a different schedule, but are designed to serve employed students. Substantial portions of the Health Information Management, Educational Media and Technology and Curriculum and Instruction programs are delivered via distance methods.

The Master of Arts in Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy are full-time programs with all classes meeting during the day.

Programs in Other Communities

Graduate degree programs are offered by the College in off-campus locations when sufficient interest is present in that region. At present, the M.A. in Management degree program is offered in Keewatin and Virginia, Minnesota, and the M.A. in Nursing degree program is offered in Brainerd, Minnesota. When the College offers a graduate degree program in an off-campus location, it makes a commitment to bring to that location all core and elective courses that are necessary to complete the degree.

Currently the Master of Arts in Management, in an accelerated one year format, is offered through the Division of Extended Studies, in Brainerd, St. Cloud and St. Paul, Minnesota.


During 2002 03, more than 500 students were working toward their masters degrees at the College. Most classes have 15 to 20 students, numbers which enhance the opportunity for students to interact with their classmates and instructors. All courses numbered 5000 or above are graduate level work.


Graduate tuition for 2003 2004 semester courses is $582 per credit for Nursing, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Exercise Physiology; $395 per credit for Management and Health Information Management; $462 per credit for Educational Media Technology; and $295 per credit for Education Curriculum and Instruction. Please contact the Graduate Office for updated information.

Application for Admission

Applications for admission to each graduate program are available by writing or calling the Graduate Studies Office or the program office. A complete listing of the required application materials for each program is included with the program descriptions that follow in this catalog. Completed applications should be submitted to the address on the application. Students should consult the Graduate Studies Office or read the program application materials for deadlines.

Provisional Admission

Provisional admission status is granted when the applicant does not meet all the requirements for full admissions status; it allows the student to begin taking classes as a degree-seeking student. Students should review the admission requirement policies of the program to which they plan to apply.

Graduate Entrance Examinations

Submission of Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores is required of all applicants to the graduate program in Nursing. Submission of entrance examination scores is not normally required for admission into the graduate programs in Education, Exercise Physiology, Health Information Management, Management, or Occupational Therapy. Some programs may request scores if an applicant's cumulative grade point average of the last two years of undergraduate work is below 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.

Students Not Seeking a Degree

Students who are not seeking a degree at St. Scholastica are invited to register for graduate courses. They must have permission of the program director and course instructor to enroll. After receiving permission, students complete an Undergraduate/Graduate Information (non-degree seeking)Form in addition to the registration form. Non-degree seeking students should carefully consider their choice of courses in order to maximize the acceptability of these courses toward some future degree at St. Scholastica or another institution. The maximum number of credits that can be taken while not seeking a degree and later applied toward a degree at the College is one-third of the total number of credits required for that degree.

International Students

An international student is one who is not a U.S. national, U.S. permanent resident, Canadian resident, permanent resident of Northern Mariana Islands, or permanent resident of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. The international applicant must complete an International Graduate Student Application form and comply with international student admissions procedures in regard to verification of English language proficiency and certification of finances. To assure that international students have no financial difficulties when they arrive at the College, St. Scholastica requires that each international graduate student make a minimum deposit (in U.S. dollars) of $5,000. Failure to make this deposit will result in delayed processing of Immigration and Naturalization Form I-20A. Without this form in possession, an international student cannot enter the U.S. These procedures are applied in addition to the admission requirements of the specific graduate program. Applications for international graduate students are available from the Graduate Studies Office.


Registration (the act of officially enrolling in classes) takes place during the middle of the semester. Students confer with their faculty advisors to review their educational plans and develop class schedules for the following semester. All students complete official registration forms at this time. Initial registration for those students newly accepted into a graduate program is coordinated by the program graduate director, who acts as the advisor for new students. In subsequent semesters, the advisors receive a preprinted registration form for each of their advisees. In addition, a Course Study Proposal form available from the Registrar is needed when a student is enrolling for independent study projects or thesis/research study credits. Graduate students may submit their registrations any day during the registration period. At a later date they receive notice from the Business Office confirming their course enrollments. Students not seeking a degree may obtain registration materials at the Registrar's Office. To insure accurate fee statements and data, upon which many decisions are based, it is imperative that all students complete registration each term according to the established procedures and deadlines.


A student may register to audit a course with prior approval of the instructor. A student who registers to audit receives no academic credit in the course and is charged one-third the tuition of those who register for credit in the class. Changes from credit status to audit status or vice versa are allowed only during the first two weeks of a semester and are subject to instructor approval. These changes are made by completing an add/drop form. Students may audit summer graduate courses with the permission of the program director and instructor. Changes from audit to credit status or vice versa are allowed only during the first week of a summer course.

Continuing Enrollment

Students who do not complete their thesis or applied project within the designated time frame must continue to register while completing their work. The fee for continuing enrollment equals the tuition for one graduate credit.

Course Load

In the graduate programs, a load of six credits is considered full-time and a load of three credits is half-time.

Course Adds

Once students have registered for at least one course in a semester, they may, with instructor permission, add other courses to their enrollment for the semester until the end of the second week. Depending on the amount of material covered in a course prior to a proposed add, instructors may deny a student the permission to enter the course.

Course Drops and Withdrawals

Students may drop a course without incurring a record of enrollment during the first two weeks of a semester. Through the ninth week, a student may withdraw from individual courses and a grade of 'W' will be entered on the student's record. Students are not permitted to drop or withdraw from a course after the ninth week of a semester unless there are circumstances beyond the control of the student that prevented timely drop or withdrawal. Drop and withdrawal deadlines for courses that begin or end on nonstandard dates will be set by the registrar, but the drop and withdrawal intervals will be proportional to the lengths of the intervals for a full academic semester.

Change of Program Fee

The forms to be completed for dropping, adding or withdrawing from a course are available in the Office of the Registrar or by mail from the advisor or department office. A $5 change of program fee is required for all such forms received at the Registrar's Office after the first week of a semester.

Refund Policy

Students receive full refund of tuition if they withdraw before attending the second meeting of the course or submitting the first assignment of a course delivered via distance learning. If they drop or withdraw after attending two or more classes, the following schedule applies

Tuition & Course Lab Fees Refund
If Registrar certifies that the student officially dropped the first day of class or before 100%
When student has attended classes and has processed the drop/add or withdrawal form to cancel within:
10% of semester 90%
20% of semester 80%
30% of semester 70%
40% of semester 60%
50% of semester 50%
60% of semester 40%
70% of semester No refund

No refund will be awarded until students have officially dropped or withdrawn from the course.

Transfer Credits

Students may apply to transfer graduate level credits they have earned elsewhere. The maximum number of transfer credits that can be applied toward a degree is determined by the individual program. To be applied toward the degree, the transfer credit must have been completed no more than seven years prior to the date the degree is completed. It is recommended that students work with their advisors or program directors to establish the equivalence of their courses from another institution with the requirements of the program at St. Scholastica. Forms to request transfer of credits can be obtained from the Graduate Studies Office.

Degree-seeking students planning to enroll in courses at another institution with the intention of transferring the credits to the College are advised to seek prior approval of the program director.

Independent Study for Credit

Students should discuss the objectives and purpose of the independent study project with their advisor before signing up for credit. A Course Study Proposal form, available from the Registrar or the department office, must be submitted by the student. The number of hours of credit granted should match the work completed by the student. The following formula is used: 1 credit = a minimum of three hours of work per week for 15 weeks or at least 45 total hours of work.

Grade Definitions

A--Evidence of exceptional and outstanding work.

B--Evidence of acceptable work.

C--Minimally acceptable if the required overall GPA is maintained for that program.

F--Failing work.

P--The P (pass) may be used if agreed upon ahead of time by the instructor and student. The P grade indicates successful completion of course requirements.

N--The N (no credit) grade is used when Pass/No Pass has been agreed upon and when course requirements have not been successfully completed.

I--The I (incomplete) grade is given to students who have not fulfilled the course requirements by the end of the semester. The I grade must be converted to a letter grade (A through F) or P or N within the contract time frame. Alternatively, the instructor may assign a grade of W.

IP--The IP (in progress) grade is used to signify courses that are usually not completed within the 15-week semester due to the nature of the course. The IP grade must be converted to a letter grade (A through F) or P or N within 12 months from the time the course was ended. Alternatively, the instructor may assign a grade of W (withdraw).

W--If a student receives a W grade because of failure to complete an I or IP and then later decides to retake or complete the course, he or she must register and pay tuition at the rate in effect at that time. No tuition refunds will be given in connection with withdrawals under this policy.

In addition to the grade classification listed above, some programs may also use grades of A-, B+, B-, C+, and C-.

Time Limits for Completion of the Graduate Degree

The credits required for obtaining a graduate degree, including transfer credits, must have been earned within seven years. Transfer credits approved early in the program may not apply toward the degree if they become older than seven years before all of the degree requirements are completed.

Thesis or Research Study

Most graduate programs require a thesis, a research study or a final project as part of the program of study. After a student has completed the final document and has obtained all necessary approvals and signatures, the document is bound. The student must provide copies of the document for the College following departmental guidelines. If the student wants additional copies bound for personal use, the binding costs $10 each.

Application for Degree

In order to receive the graduate degree, students must complete the "Application for Master of Arts or Master of Education" form, including department signatures, and submit it to the director of graduate studies. This form can be obtained from the Graduate Studies Office and should be submitted to the academic department secretary along with the $50 graduation fee. Fall semester due date is October 1 and spring semester due date is February 1.

Transcript, grade, and student records policies can be found in the undergraduate general information section.


Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0. If this GPA falls below 3.0, the student is placed on probation. The student must achieve a GPA of 3.0 after completion of six subsequent credits. Failure to do so will result in dismissal. Students may also be placed on probation as a result of problems occurring during practicums and internships. This action is taken when the student's performance is not satisfactory and/or behavioral/emotional problems occur which interfere with his/her work.


A student who has been placed on probation and fails to correct problems identified during the probationary period will be dismissed. Dismissal proceedings will be initiated by the program director upon receipt of relevant evidence. The dismissal decision will be made by a committee of three members of the program's faculty. Dismissed students may appeal the decision to the Graduate Council by following grievance procedures outlined in the Graduate Program Policy Book.

Academic Honesty Policy

Graduate students are expected to conform to the academic honesty policy of the College. Academic honesty and integrity are highly valued in our campus community. Academic honesty directly concerns ethical behaviors which affect both the academic environment and the civic community. Plagiarism and fraud are grounds for dismissal. See Graduate Programs Policy Manual.

Grievance Procedures

The grievance procedure is a means for settling student-professor and/or student-program complaints. The grievance must be filed within 20 academic days following the alleged incident that caused the complaint.

An attempt should be made to resolve the grievance at the immediate level of the student(s) and the teacher(s). If the grievance cannot be resolved at this level, the student contacts the program director or department chair who arranges for a hearing before the program's department faculty. If the grievance cannot be resolved at this level, the student contacts the director of graduate studies who schedules a meeting of the Graduate Council to hear the grievance. The Graduate Council is the policy-making body for graduate studies at the College and its decision is binding.

Library Services

Special library services are available to graduate students, including extended due dates and document delivery for students living more than 50 miles from Duluth. Library access begins with an active CSS student ID, obtained at orientation or via program directors. The Library's web pages provide on and off campus links to specialized databases, and explain current policies and procedures.

Student Services

The Student Center for Health and Well Being (SCHAW) provides a wide range of services designed to assist students in achieving their educational goals. Graduate students can benefit from participating in personal, academic and career counseling; identifying and/or developing personal skills; and maintaining a credential file in the center. The SCHAW maintains a career resource library, a job listing board of current positions, and employer and government information. All graduate students are encouraged to take advantage of these services and resources.

Computer Technology

Graduate students are encouraged to become proficient in using personal computers, Internet resources, and word processing and spreadsheet software in completing class assignments. Computers are available for student use in the library and in the computer labs in Tower Hall and the Science Center. All students will be issued an ID and password from the Computer Center to access the Local Area Network.

Health Service and Medical Insurance

Graduate students taking nine (9) or more credits at the Duluth campus are required to pay the $55 a semester student health fee. Graduate students taking twelve (12) or more credits are required to carry health insurance. If a graduate student is covered under an existing policy, she/he needs to fill out an insurance waiver card each year. Without submission of the insurance waiver card, the student is automatically enrolled and charged the premium of the Colleges student insurance plan.

International Students

Student insurance is mandatory for all international students (undergraduate or graduate) regardless of number of credits enrolled.  Insurance can be either through a separate policy or the College's policy, if the policy is not through the College proof of insurance is required.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is awarded on the basis of need or merit. Only students working toward a degree or license are eligible; non-U.S. citizens are generally not eligible for financial aid. Provisionally admitted students are not eligible for financial aid. A student must be registered for a minimum of three graduate credits for the semester in order to be eligible for Stafford Loans or the Student Education Loan Fund (S.E.L.F.) Loans. Students should contact the Financial Aid office to obtain the proper forms that must be completed in order for eligibility for aid to be determined. Traineeships may be available for some graduate nursing students. Information on these traineeships is available from the graduate program in nursing.

Temporary Housing

Temporary housing, for a night or two, is sometimes available in the College student residence hall for a minimal charge. This service is useful for students traveling great distances to classes or who attend classes in satellite locations and want to spend extended time in the library. Interested students should contact the Residential Building Services office to inquire about the availability of rooms and to make reservations.

Graduate Program Handbooks

Each graduate department may have additional policies regarding such issues as grading, provisional admission status or acceptability of transfer credits. Students should consult the program director or the handbook for specific issues concerning their program.


Rachel Applegate, M.S.L.S., Ph.D. (ex officio)
Associate Professor, Director of the Library

George Beattie (ex officio)

Rondell Berkeland, Ed.D., OTR/L
Associate Professor, Chair: Occupational Therapy

Gary Boelhower, Ph.D., (ex officio)
Associate Dean of Graduate Studies

Tommy Boone, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Professor, Chair: Exercise Physiology

Tom Gibbons, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Chair: Computer Science/Information Systems

Larry Goodwin, Ph.D. (ex officio)

Angela Hauger, Ph.D.
Associate Professor: Psychology

Marie Kelsey, M.A., M.L.S., R.H.I.A.
Assistant Professor, Education
Director of Educational Media and Technology

Kathleen LaTour, M.A., R.H.I.A.
Assistant Professor, Chair: Health Information Management

Denise Wise, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Chair: Physical Therapy

Jo Olsen Murray, Ed.D.
Assistant Professor, Education
Director, Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction

Susan Tarnowski, Ph.D. (ex officio)
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Faculty

Martha Witrak, Ph.D., R.N.
Associate Professor, Chair: Nursing

Sr. Kathleen Niska, Ph.D. (Health Sciences)
Assistant Professor, Nursing

Jon Nelson, Ph.D. (Health Sciences)
Associate Professor, Physical Therapy

LeAnn House, Ph.D. (Humanities)
Professor, Music

Sr. Agnes Alich, Ph.D. (Natural Science)
Professor, Chemistry

Robert Hartl, M.A.
Associate Professor, Chair: Management

[an error occurred while processing this directive]